Red line, blue line
Inspired by this post on Anthony Baxter's blog.
Nokia 770 + a
random Bluetooth GPS + Maemo Mapper + Google Maps = fun.
Nokia 770 and NaviLock BT-308 GPS
The fun part consisted of
Maemo Mapper so that it can use Google satellite map pictures.
- Banging my head against the wall trying to understand why Maemo Mapper
won't talk to the GPS today, when it worked perfectly yesterday.
- Googling for BT-308 protocol descriptions.
- Discovering that BT-308 speaks two protocols: NMEA-0138
text protocol and SiRF
- Discovering that Maemo Mapper only speaks (well, listens to) NMEA-0138.
- Discovering that gpsdrive/gpsd that
I tried yesterday evening (without much success) tell the GPS device to
switch to the binary protocol (which is apparently the same that Garmin
- Discovering that turning the GPS off and back on does not switch the
protocol back to NMEA.
- Reading the SiRF binary protocol refeference manual and writing a short Python script to
connect to the GPS via Bluetooth and tell it to use NMEA.